Activities within 40 km
Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre
The Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre focuses on the conservation of rare, vulnerable or endangered animals. Cheetah Conservation is one of their core disciplines.
Following an introductory presentation on HESC, day visitors are treated to an in-depth tour of the Centre. Open safari vehicles with experienced guides depart on the hour. Moving between the various enclosures,guests can view cheetah, wild dog, lions, black-footed cats, African wild cats, ground hornbills, Sable antelope and much more in an up close and personal manner.
Visitors are also given the chance to go on elephant-back safaris. Conducted in the early morning, the safari offers close contact game viewing from a magnificent vantage point. The Camp Jabulani herd of elephants are renowed for their beautiful temperaments and outstanding physical condition. This is truly a memorable and humbling experience.
Camp Jabulani - Elephant Encounter
Nothing quite tops the first introduction to the Camp Jabulani elephants! Their sheer size and presence are humbling. You will have the chance to learn how these special animals were rescued and given a new home in the natural paradise that is the Kapama Private Game Reserve, together with their handlers who give them all the love and care that they need. An educational and entertaining presentation will give you the chance to learn interesting facts about the elephants' anatomy and their personalities. During this session you will be allowed to get up close and personal with our friendly herd, giving you the chance to take photographs of you standing next to these massive animals.
Directions from Swadini
- At T-Junction turn right towards Klaserie .
- Continue on this road until you go underneath a train bridge .
- Straight thereafter turn Left on the R40 ( Phalaborwa / Hoedspruit ) .
- After +- 1 Km you find a turn off to you right that says “ Guernsey “ .
- Turn off to you right and continue through the boom gates and security .
- This road will turn into a gravel road , continue to T- Junction .
- At T-Junction turn left and continue for +- 4.7 km . On you right hand side you see a large thatch roof gate that says “ Thornybush Waterberry lodge “ Our gate is just opposite that one.
Click here to download Directions from Swadini.
The small, tourism and agriculturally orientated town nestled between the Kruger National Park and the Blyde River Canyon is just 30 km away.
You can visit www.hoedspruit.co.za or get the Hoedspruit app on your smart phone before you visit. It contains a list of businesses, what to do, where to eat, services, facilities and events in and around Hoedspruit.